Wednesday, August 24, 2011

We're off to great places!

We dove right into our daily routine and I've held nothing back! Everyone is keeping up and having fun (it seems they are anyway!)

We have been introduced to "word work". This is part of our morning routine. We can choose from lots of different options which makes working on words extra fun! Right now we're working on words we find around the room but soon we will have a "ring of words" which I will explain in more depth very soon (my absolute favorite and most beneficial part of our day).

Today we got our book boxes. We are learning how to pick "good fit" books to keep in our boxes while we read. This week we are working on reading to ourself but soon we will also be reading with a buddy and listening to reading (on computers and books on cd/tape). We will keep all our "good fit" books in our baskets but right now we have books with simple text and other fun books we've picked.

In math, we've done some graphing and started math stations. We are free exploring with different manipulatives. I am amazed at how creative everyone is being and how great everyone is planning and working together. I quote: "Let's do this as a team, ok?" ....music to a teacher's ears!

We also started calendar. For the first few weeks I will be helping but soon, the leader and tail leader will be in complete control. It's actually quite amazing to watch once we've gotten in some practice. What can be better than students teaching students??

Yesterday we came up with a set of class rules together. I think the most important one is "treating others as you want to be treated".




I don't want to jinx anthing but my class this year is sooo quiet!! I can't even believe how everyone has adjusted so quickly. I am so lucky to have an entire class of students ready to learn. We are off to an incredible start!

No comments:

Post a Comment