Tuesday, September 20, 2011

shapes galore!

We have had a great time working with shapes over the last week.

First we started with the basics...


And Ms. Hyde, our U of H student helper, taught us this song about shapes:

Then we played a game with buddies. They took turns rolling a dice (die?) with shape names, finding the shape, and dotting the shape with a bingo dotter.

We made a monster glyph using our favorite shapes and colors...

And yesterday we took shapes outdoors to play a fun game. I had an idea of what I wanted them to do but was pretty much making it up as we went along (typical)...we had fun playing "Sides to Corners"! (that oh so clever name just came to me after trying to think of a cute name all day yesterday, sometimes my creativity is severely lacking, ha)

I took it from a game "Ship to Shore" they learned in P.E..  One side of the Kinder drive was "sides" and the other side of the drive was "corners". They had to listen to what I was calling to know which side to run to.

Here they are running to the corners side.  Neto was on top of this!

Then in the middle of running back and forth from sides to corners I would call out a shape and they would have to think of the number of sides it had, find that many buddies, and make the shape on the ground with their bodies.

We know a circle has no straight lines so making that shape was was a challenge...but we had FUN trying!


I think Ms. Hyde has one more activity to round off our unit on shapes tomorrow. 

In math we are now on to sorting objects!!

Don't you wish you were in Kindergarten?? I sure am glad I am!!

No comments:

Post a Comment