Friday, September 30, 2011

Inside, outside, around, and through!

We've been having fun with position and location words in math!  Everyday we learned a few more words and added the word and an descriptive illustration to our math journals.

Monday had fun with inside and outside...

They listened to my words to jump inside and outside of a hula hoop. It was harder than you think!


Tuesday we top, middle, bottom...


I would say a position and they had to do what I said (like Simon says) The ones standing were still in the game even though I was trying to trick them.

Wednesday morning we read "The Three Billy Goats Gruff"...


Later that afternoon we tied the story into math using over and under to retell the story...


There were 3 billy goats all named Gruff that wanted to get to go to the other side of the bridge to eat the delicious green grass and flowers.


The goats went "trip, trap, trip, trap" over the bridge but a mean troll was under the bridge waiting to eat them up!
  

The troll would say "who's that trip, trapping over my bridge, I am going to eat you up!" and the small and medium sized goats said, "No, please don't eat me! My brother is coming later, he's bigger than I am, eat him instead." the troll agreed. 

But when the biggest, strongest troll crossed the bridge, he solved the problem of the mean troll by butting him off the bridge.  The troll was swept down the river, never to bother the goats again! 

Okay, okay, so it was a very loose intrepretation of "over and under" but you know, I'll find any excuse to play! We had so much fun acting out the story of the "The Three Billy Goats Gruff"! I love when we can tie all our learning together!


On Thursday we worked with left and right. In they morning they each got a Red bracelet for Right and a Light blue bracelet for Left. And then we got...FuNkY! We did the "hokey pokey", the "cha-cha slide" and the "cupid's shuffle".


cha-cha slide! "slide to the left" (Look at all those smiles!!)

Mrs. G even got in on the action! "now kick, now kick, now come on baby kick"

I'm not gunna lie, I was sweating and may or may not have been sore the next day!!  

Today we rounded it all up with a fun little activity involving paper airplanes! We had to determine where out airplane flew (over, under, through, left right, etc) of the cloud. 



It's Friday and boy am I ready for the weekend! Y'all have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment