Friday, October 7, 2011

Good Fit Books

As I mentioned to many of you during out conferences this week, a common goal we have set in class is to begin choosing "good fit" books.

We practice doing this in class. My hope is that soon each student will be in control of their learning by choosing books that are just right for them AND books that interest them. Who wants to read a book that's too hard about something you don't give a hoot about??

Here's an idea about what makes a book a "good fit":


Too easy: read it too fast, words are too easy, you don;t pay attention to what you're reading
Too hard: read it too slowly, can't understand words
Just right (GOOD FIT!): you can sound out unknown words, you aren't getting stuck on words, you read at a good pace, you understand what you read

I hope this is helpful when helping your child choose a good book to read. Also, as I've mentioned before, it is always a good idea to include higher level reading into your at home reading routine as well. Of course, you would read these stories to your child (I especially love classic novels and timeless authors). The larger vocabulary and story structure is great to expose your children to!

Above all, reading with your child should be fun, not frustrating. ENJOY this time you share with your child. Some of my most precious childhood memories with my dad are of him reading to me and my brothers! That poor man has numerous books memorized AND can name all the ducklings in order from the story "Make Way For Ducklings". Pretty impressive, I know!

HAVE A FANTASTIC WEEKEND!

No comments:

Post a Comment