Monday, October 17, 2011

Pumpkins, pumpkins, and more pumpkins!

We did a lot of activities with my very favorite fall staple....the PUMPKIN!  I have a ton of pictures to share so I though it'd be easiest for me to make one mubo-jumbo post of pictures...in a very random order. (I know and I'm sorry, things out of order drive me nuts too!  I love this blogging thing but a single post can easily eat up an hour of my day if I let it....so today I give you randomness, a sampling of some of the things we did in an all out of whack order!) Enjoy!


We described pumpkins with Mrs. Heyde.

We read a LOT of books about pumpkins...fiction and non fiction.



We measuredd around our pumpkin with a string and counted how many uni-fix cubes long the string was.

We rebuilt one of the songs we've been singing and added it to our Poetry Journal.

We observed our pumpkins and filled out all kinds of data.

We used our pumpkins to create numbers like you see on dominos or dice.  We've learned it much easier to count numbers if they're in a uniform order.

We retold the story of "Sixteen Runaway Pumpkins" (a math book about doubles).

We read a book about the life cycle of a pumpkin and then created the life cycle together.

We all brought in pumpkins.  One of the pumpkins had the flower petals still shriveled up on its underside....it was really neat to see that!

We wrote a book about pumpkins.

We graphed what type of pumpkins were brought to school. Most people brought in a pie pumpkin!

We read another book about the pumpkin life cycle and wrote about it.

We did this cool art project using crayons to blend colors to make the pumpkin look real. Then we painted water color over the whole thing.  the crayon wax repelled the water color. Neat!

Is there more?? I'm sure! But I was getting confused about what picture I had and hadn't posted. I think you get the idea though....we were busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment